17 Jun 2007

Mkambati Nature Reserve

As a student, I went on several hiking trips....one with Uncle Mauritz...a very nice guy...he was the main engineer of the Transkei Highland Water Scheme Project and he knows that part of the country like the palm of his hand! We were 34 people, about 6 children age 9/10. This is part of the Wild Coast! At some places we walked ON the beach...other places just about 20 m away...with the sound of the sea in our ears.....! At night...our tents were about 50m from the beach!
He showed us spectacular places, the highest water fall with its fall directly in the sea! Hidden places....tea plantations...Magwa Waterfall....it was really an experience with him.
It was a difficult route for the children, so when we came to this Reserve, we ended our trip here. But, we had to cross that river first and it was in flood! Very scary...luckily...I had a guy with me...(admired me at that stage....Pierre...) and he guided me safely to the other end! We had a GREAT time for a day at the resort and it was great fun....the bar man was a great sport and we had big laughs with him. A coach picked us up at the resort and we set off for Margate....one of THE places to go on holiday by the beach....
I kept a diary of everything that happened, where we had breakfast, what time...lunch...place and time...how far we walked from A to B to C...etc. I still have the maps too where I indicated on the maps where we stopped and what we saw there....

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment