22 Jul 2007

Memories

This is going to be short bits....only flashes of memories through the years...not in order!
I can remember during my student years as a day-student.... when it was break, we were sitting at DSO...that stands for "Day Students Organisation"... having tea, chats, laughs and just lazing around....it was great! Wonder where Linda is...and all the others!!
Also, in the Youth Centre, Vermeulen Street...next to Bosman Church....lived there for a couple of years....was soooooooo great! Fantastic years with other students...some of them medical students...doctors/dentists...... most others were working students....was a lovely time, my best memories during my student years are definitely from there.... But we had great times together...went together to Vliegekraal one weekend..."vlieg" means "fly"...and there were loads/tons of flies in that place! We went skydiving!!...that was also nerve racking, but great! We used to buy roasted chicken at night and went to the Union Buildings....and have a picnic on the lawn....so many times we did that...and nights out to the movies...and late night chats...till 3 am in the morning! Philosophised the whole night through! hahaha....
When I was at Secondary, we were in the food technology class. I was 14, I think. The teacher put out ingredients for us to use after play. We were about 4 girls, leaving the class after her and helped ourselves with cheese and white bread! When she came back after play, asking who helped themselves, we owned up...she said..."girls, you're going to be fat one day...you're going to be so fat....!"....she wasn't mad at us...she was a sport...a year later...she got divorced and liked to have chats with us girls about boyfriends...her daughter was our age...one year younger than me...and we...of course..liked the chats more than school work...! She always used to say..."girls! you better watch out...!" that was funny...I can still hear her voice..saying.."girls!"...she was like a real mother, giving advice to her daughter! :)
My maths teacher took leave for 3 months and we got this female teacher. She was very friendly.. .but I liked our maths teacher more...but anyway...we had 3 periods of maths on a Wednesday...that means more than an hour in one class! She said that we can't go without having some snacks and us girls volunteered to bring each Wednesday snacks, as long as the boys contribute...so, for a whole term, every Wednesday we had snacks while doing our work...when our maths teacher came back, we had snacks the first Wednesday again...and the "excuse"...Susan's birthday...next Wednesday...again...but what "excuse" this time...! So... we spilled the beans...hahaha...he didn't mind...because it was all home made snacks which he thoroughly enjoyed! Just look at the pic! Yummy!



During Primary school, we sang a lot of songs from different cultures. This song, called "Cockles and Mussels" was really a song we all liked a lot!
In Dublin's fair city, where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
As she wheeled her wheel-barrow
Through streets broad and narrow
Crying cockles and mussels, alive, alive-O!
Alive, alive-O! alive, alive-O!
Crying cockles and mussels, alive, alive-O!
She was a fish-monger, but sure 'twas no wonder
For so were her father and mother before
And they each wheeled their barrow
Through streets broad and narrow
Crying cockles and mussels, alive, alive-O!
Alive, alive-O! alive, alive-O!
Crying cockles and mussels, alive, alive-O!
She died of a fever, and no one could save her
And that was the end of sweet Molly Malone
But her ghost wheels her barrow
Through streets broad and narrow
Crying cockles and mussels, alive, alive-O!
Alive, alive-O! alive, alive-O!
Crying cockles and mussels, alive, alive-O!

If anyone tells me about Ireland or Dublin, this song jumps to my mind immediately! Our music teacher, ms Koeleman, (Dutch) made it fun for us during singing, we all loved the songs we sang! And I can remember the boys singing "alive, alive-o!...." very loudly, as if that's the only part they knew!
another nice song...not sang at school though....lol
By the Everly Brothers
Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream
Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream
When I want you in my arms
When I want you and all your charms
Whenever I want you, all I have to do is
Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream
When I feel blue in the night
And I need you to hold me tight
Whenever I want you, all I have to do is
Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam
I can make you mine, taste your lips of wine
Anytime night or day
Only trouble is, gee whiz
I'm dreaming my life away
I need you so that I could die
I love you so and that is why
Whenever I want you, all I have to do is
Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream
Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam

No comments:

Post a Comment