12 Sept 2007

Bokkenvolle...recipe!

I posted earlier about this "Bokkenvolle"....and I promised I will come up with the recipe....well, I haven't made it myself yet, but one thing I can say about the Bokkenvolle....this is brilliant! You won't believe how delicious it is...!!
You need: brown sugar, sticky type..in South Africa you get "tricale" brown sugar, the sticky type
cream
bread dough



I found this bread recipe...try it...again not one I have tried out...



5 cups white flour
2 tablespoons yeast (or 2 x 7g pkts)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups warm-hot water
1/4 cup cooking oil

Put 4 cups of the flour, yeast, sugar and salt into large bowl.
Pour in hot water and oil and mix until combined- it will be sticky.
Add the remaining flour in increments until dough is no longer sticky.
Knead for about 5 minutes until dough is elastic and smooth.
Place dough back into bowl and cover with a damp teatowel and let it rise until double its size- about 1/2 hour.




Now for the Bokkenvolle!

Roll small pieces of dough..like golf balls. Put in oiled oven dish/pan....
Cover the rolls with brown sugar...be generous with the sugar! Don't worry
if there's some at the bottom of the dish/pan....
Pour cream in the dish, about 1cm thick in the bottom, at least...
Bake in hot oven...180 C....for an hour+


It takes longer than the plain bread rolls due to the cream...it gets soaked up by the breadrolls.
Serve and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment